Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday's Motivational Makeover featuring Tess

Limiting Beliefs~

Are you where you want to be? Do you have what you desire in your life?

Do you believe that you deserve happiness, health, abundance and true love?

If so…..I acknowledge you for having a belief system that allows the space for this.

If not….I invite you to consider that your beliefs aren’t serving you in having a big life.

The foundation is laid for belief systems very early on and we build upon them, brick by brick, day by day, year after year.

What is your foundation made of?

I watched Miss America, Gilligan’s Island, Hart to Hart and Marcus Welby. Snow White and Cinderella were staples. I read Seventeen Magazine and Glamour. We sat down and ate dinner as a family almost every night. Grampa Darrell and I never missed an Elvis concert on t.v. (btw, we had one of those brand new Zenith remote control gadgets for our t.v.) Grama Grace put our hair in pin curls and then drug us to the Lutheran Church whenever she could. Small town Iowa was insulated and uninteresting compared to the year spent in the California commune, but served to heal the age inappropriate exposure, and all contributed to my belief system evolution.

My belief system was that you had to be pretty and have a musical/dance……or dramatic reading talent…to win. You could be Ginger or Mary Ann, but regardless, you had to be pretty…even shipwrecked on an island. Scouring the pages of magazines imprinted also. You had to dress well and wear your hair and make up in the latest greatest style. Being thin was the only option. Snow White and Cinderella taught me that if you were pretty enough (recurring theme), you would be rescued and live the good life. No more cleaning and hanging out with only dwarfs.

Raquel Welch was the gold standard for beauty and when I would spend the night with my girlfriend Shelly, her dad would leave his Playboy magazines out and she and I would hide in the attic giggling over the glossy images. Once again, imprinting on my belief foundation was that men only wanted to look at beautiful and sexy women.

So there is a theme here…..

At least for me, a large part of my belief system foundation has been based on physical attributes. Thank goodness I got a healthy dose of good values, work ethic and strong character from my most incredible grandparents whom raised me. It is easier to take the things that work out well, for granted. It is the beliefs that keep us stuck……small…..limited…..that eventually get the magnifying glass because nobody likes the mark the brick wall leaves on the forehead after prolonged ignorant repetition.

I took the fairy tales at face value and I knew they were stories, but when you tell yourself the same stories over and over, you begin to BELIEVE them as examples and they run you at a certain level. I am now faced with owning and embracing the rest of myself…my intellect, my soul, my altruism, my ability, my talent, my core, my power.

Change is gradual and so I will make every attempt to notice where I’m playing small inside of limiting beliefs and bring the rest of me out of the shadows.

I want more for me.

I want more for you.

What’s in your life is what you choose. Choose consciously and powerfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment