Thursday, March 5, 2009

Should a sudden drop...

...in cabin pressure occur...an oxygen mask will drop... put your mask on first, then put them on small children. Those of you who travel via aircraft are familiar with this directive, mandated by the FAA as part of the pre-flight checklist that the crew has been trained to deliver. This is but one of several directives (warnings) we are given, all of them designed to prepare us for an in-flight emergency. Most seasoned air travelers, like myself, tend to tune out during this monologue. We hear these words so often that they lose their meaning, or we think the chances of something happening are so remote, we may no longer pay attention.

In the case of the air mask, something struck me recently as I began to think about the current financial crisis and how I have responded. For one, it seemed to me that is selfish to think of placing a mask on me first, then my children. After all, aren't we taught (and innately feel) that we should put the needs of our children first in these situations? The other thing that came to mind was how much I had been "tuning-out" during the last 12 months, despite all the warning signs that things were about to get ugly.

A few observations from this analogy that keep me positively focused during this unsettling period:

  • Yes, there is an emergency, but yes, I have been prepared for this eventuality, and have a plan to deal with it.
  • There is help available, the oxygen mask if you will, which has been given to me to use if needed.
  • I must first ensure that I have pure oxygen flowing to me, before I help others with their need. It is essential that I be strong and available to help those unable to help themselves.
Do you have an action plan in place to deal with an ever-deepening crisis? Are you able to take care of your needs, so that you can take care of the needs of your children? If the answer to this question is no, then I ask you to take time TODAY, to listen again to the instructions of others who are willing to help you. Trust your intuition, not the people around you who have gotten us into this mess. They didn't have your best interests or the interests of your children in mind.

Yes, the flight attendant's drone will go on, but this time pay attention.

Until next post, continue to believe, achieve, receive. SDG -JBHIV

No comments:

Post a Comment