Sunday, March 1, 2009

Virtues for A Virtual World

We hear a lot lately about how "connected" we now are, thanks to some remarkable technologies such as the internet and content facilitators like myself. Some of this connectivity is "real-time" (Instant Messaging, Texting, etc.). Others have increased our ability to gain access to information and opinion, yet remain "anonymous" if desired (this Blog, for example).

So while I hope that all of the followers of this blog are benefiting by what I faithfully post, I may never know the true reach and impact it will have. This is as it should be, because it preserves both the privacy of you, my readership, and my need to speak without regard for what could be thousands of you out there at this very moment to whom I connect at many levels - intellectually, mentally, and spiritually - through this blog.

This "detached attachment" between you and I demand that we agree upon a set of virtues for a virtual world - a framework that is a proxy for being able to look into each other's eyes to discern truthfulness and commitment.

For me, the 13 virtues chosen by Ben Franklin in his early 20's are the ones I live by. These virtues can be divided into those related to personal behavior (temperance, order, resolution, frugality, moderation, industry, cleanliness and tranquility) and those related to social character traits (sincerity, justice, silence, faithfulness and humility). Franklin tried to follow these guides in his life, although he often went astray. These virtues may be worthwhile to consider following in your own life.

Until next post, continue to believe, achieve, receive. SDG - JBHIV

No comments:

Post a Comment